Added home pages: You can create as many as 5 pages for the 1st home screen (icon array) style. This hopefully indicates more apps/games may be coming for the J3. Notice the gray bars at the top. The 5th one is highlighted to indicate the current page. You can't have a page with no icons on it or it will disappear. To move icons to a new page first hold down on one to select it, then drag it to the right side of the screen. New pages are always added on the right.
Play/Pause Tab: The 1st home screen style also has a music Pause/Play bar on bottom of the screen. It reminds you what the current song is. Tap once to pause. Tap again to start playing. It is visible no matter which (first style) home page you are on.
Additional, undocumented codec support: MP4 (video) and M4A/AAC (audio) files will also play on the J3, despite not being listed in the official specifications. You won't get full album art support, but it's nice that you can drag (non-DRMed) songs from your iTunes music folder right to the J3. and they will be playable. Not every MP4 movie I tried would play, but most did.
·Unicode character support: Not perfect, but characters from Arabic and other languages do display. Still work to be done though for languages that read from right to left. A sample of Arabic text in an MP3 file name displayed backwards. The letters and cover art of that file did display though. On my Zune HD the letters appeared as blocks and the album art did not display.
Transitions: There are two slide show transitions for the photo app, as well as variable timing between slides. Notice the icons right of the blue bar in the photo above. Pressing the lower one will initiate fade-in of photos during slide shows. The upper one initiates sliding in of the next photo from the right during shows. You also can make any image, even zoomed in sections of an image, be your home screen wallpaper. To do so, tap the 2nd icon down (on the right side in the image above).
Bookmarks: You can create up to 256/file bookmarks per file. You can bookmark audio and video files, as well as the percentage you are into a document in the document reader. In the Music player (above) tap the top blue bar, then the + icon to see the Favorites and Bookmark icons. Tap the Bookmark icon to add a bookmark for the current song and position in the song.·Widgets: The third menu style has an array of Widgets to choose from. They can be installed on any of three screens:
- Clock 1 (analog)
- Clock 2 (digital)
- Brightness (car headlights)
- Battery level (graphic)
- Quick Player
- Memo Pad
- Memory indicator
- Photo Zone
Extensive video variables. This is a list of the variables you can change from within the video player. I've never seen a video player application so thorough in any other device I've reviewed. From the user manual:
- Sync adjustment: Adjust sync between the subtitle and video file by 0.5 sec.
- Subtitle color: Select the subtitle color.
- Subtitle height: Set the subtitle height.
- Subtitle size: Set the subtitle size.
- Subtitle selection: Select Subtitle 1/ Subtitle 2/All. * This option is used when several languages are available for subtitle use.
- Subtitle On/Off
- Preview videos 3/screen, 6/screen, or in a text list.
- Choose between black and shaded background for preview panels.
- Add a video to your Favorites list.
- Add up to 256 bookmarks to each video file.
- Select screen aspect ratio displayed from Full Screen (16:9), 4:3, Original Size and Original Ratio.
- Set Brightness Level (7 steps).
- Turn TV-Out on/off. (requires accessory cable)
- Screen Quality: Select between clear/soft video.
- Set the brightness of the menu bar displayed on the video.
- Boundary: Select to Play one file/Play files in the selected folder/Play all files.
- Once/Repeat: Select to Play once/Repeat the tracks in the specified range.
- Playback Speed: Set the playback speed. * It can be set within the range between 50%~150%.
- Pitch correction: Turn pitch correction On/Off. * Pitch correction is supported when playback speed is not 100%.
- Set JetEffect 3.0 (sound effects).
- During the playback, preview the video by elapsed time. Select a Preview thumbnail to play the video from the selected sector.
- Capture and save video screen images.
- A-B Repeat: Set the playback boundary to repeat.
Check out Cowon's D3. My review of it can be found HERE.
And if you appreciate my blog, please consider clicking on an Ad. Thanks!